Position:  Fellow - Mass Communication- Journalism Location:   SELCO Foundation, Bengaluru, Karnataka Reports to:   Research Analyst, Program Manager Starting date:   Immediate
About the Role
SELCO Foundation is looking for a highly motivated individual who is passionate about working in the development sector with focus on providing access to sustainable energy for livelihoods and health for last mile communities in North Karnataka. The broader goal is to use decentralized renewable energy to facilitate dignified living, increased incomes, reduced drudgery and improved work productivity through the integration of climate inclusive technologies into livelihood practices for the underserved communities in North Karnataka . As the Mass Communication - Journalism Intern , you should have a good sectoral understanding, experience in conducting research, case study, qualitative narrative studies as well as proven experience in crisp documentation with the ability to adapt to diverse situations and organizational requirements. The intern is expected to conduct deep-dive studies and work towards creating evidence and knowledge products that bring out the organization’s approach. The intern will conduct landscape studies which help inform the strategy and direction of the allotted programs.
About the Program
This program is aimed at the Identification of champion farmers to develop case studies on climate- friendly practices and intervention of need-based DRE solutions at the champion site for learning and lead generation. There is a knowledge gap across new and innovative farming solutions, lack of recognition and documentation of climate friendly innovative practices by champion farmers; which this project aims to cover.
Documentation aims to bring out:
- To capture knowledge on grassroots practices and integrated farming techniques
- To transfer learnings across geographies with similar agro-climatic conditions by benchmarking best practices and processes from farmers to build the knowledge and solutions within the sector.
- To complement existing practices with clean energy technologies to aid livelihood and well-being
- Anchoring, managing and documenting (end to end) knowledge base of the champion farmer program at selected field locations across India to ensure a seamless flow of information consistent with the organization’s philosophy.
- Building a complete understanding of the livelihood sector and ensure successful implementation and integration within the Energy nexus of the program. Moreover keep abreast with trends, narratives and practices emerging in innovative - progressive agriculture and allied sectors
- Visiting sites/ partner organizations to identify different champion end user/ commodity typologies to anchor critical research and learning exercises to communicate key practices, approaches and strategy for planned programs planned
- Support research-led interventions in SELCO & developing critical content by accumulating information from the program- implementation team, through literature studies, consultations and field visits- based on priority and relevance to external stakeholders.
- Analyzing the information gathered in a quantitative and qualitative manner in order to convert them into knowledge products for the organization
- Identifying and documenting lessons learned through past programs and implications for the team’s next steps and way forward. Analyzing the data and preparing reports and decks for the program team.
- Delivering on new and innovative ways to communicate key learnings, concepts, processes and approaches for improved uptake within the organization and outside through increased cross-sharing.
- Build and write content by accumulating information from the field as per the priority subjects, relevance to external stakeholders and time of dissemination
- Prepare well-structured site briefs, drafts strictly within deadlines and create compelling headlines & body copies that will capture the attention of the target audience
- Edit and refine existing content to improve readability & increase engagement as per target audience
- Curate reports, newsletters, website content, blogs, and articles as per requirement & target audience
- Prepare press releases, media bytes, and op-eds as per topical subjects within short frames of time
- Minimum of 1-2 years of work experience in the development sector with focus on sustainable energy and rural livelihoods is preferable, experience in print journalism is necessary
- Education background in Livelihoods (Agriculture preferred), Mass Communication, Journalism, Development Studies
- Based out of Karnataka or having significant experience working in Karnataka with good understanding about grassroots communities, languages, livelihood practices etc. is essential.
- Prior experience in report writing, documentation, impact analysis, case study analysis
- Languages known: Kannada, English
- Ability to learn quickly and engage with internal and external stakeholders across multiple subject areas- energy, development, livelihoods, health.
- Ability to analyze data and derive meaningful learnings and insights from the information gathered in order to create knowledge products.
- Demonstrating proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision- making capability and ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Willingness to travel extensively within and outside the State as and when required.
Applications will be processed on a rolling basis given this is an internship. Contract period can be extended based on performance reviewed by reporting manager and administration consensus. Please send a copy of your CV with a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this role to email@example.com with “Re: Application for Intern_Mass Communication- Journalism__SELCO Foundation” in the subject line.